Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!


This year has been a lesson in patience and gratitude for me.  Through many ups and downs, I've come to appreciate the most important things in my life--the things that truly bring me the most joy.  My wonderful and darling family, particularly my rock (a handsome rock, at that) of a husband.  Sweet friends.  And I can't ignore my faith, without which this whole lesson in patience and gratitude might have gone sour a long time ago.  I'm really looking forward to the Christmas season, when we get to turn our hearts toward the Savior.

In the meantime, the great feast fast approaches!  I'm busily cooking up things for my family, (and not you, sorry) so here's what we're having.  Next time I have a few minutes, I promise to share a few of the recipes I don't have links for yet!

Firstly, can't forget breakfast.  We have the same thing nearly every morning, and I dare not stray on Thanksgiving day.

Toast
Egg Nog (no, we don't have this every day)


Basic Muffins or something like it, just laid out on the table to keep the hungry wolves at bay.

And for the feast:

Roasted Turkey (although I made it this year--gasp--since Dr. S is hard at work on his dissertation.  If you're lucky I'll share my method later!)


Whole Cranberry Sauce.  My children eat this with spoons.  Literally.


Grandma's Butter Rolls.  Heaven in your mouth.


Mashed Potatoes and Gravy.  Tastes like home.


Sweet Potato Bake.  This one's just for me, since I'm the main sweet potato lover in my house.  But give it a try if you want a jump-start on dessert--it could certainly pass for it!
Sauteed Green Beans with Caramelized Onions (method a little different than what's posted)
Roasted Cauliflower
Creamed Corn



And for the final (and most important) course:


Cherry Pie
Apple Pie or


Apple Crisp.  Another taste of home for me.


Pumpkin Pie.  Classic.  Try substituting sweetened condensed milk for the evaporated milk and sugar.  So creamy!


Lemon Pie.  Simple, yet sophisticated.

all topped with Sweetened Whipped Cream! (scroll to the bottom of the post for recipe)

What are you having?

No comments: