Sunday, June 10, 2012

Hard Boiled Eggs - No green slime


 

I am a bit particular about my hard boiled eggs.  Call me a snob... maybe I am, but I just don't like that green slime around the outside of my yolks.  That fact that I will even eat an egg yolk is a huge step for me from my childhood...  So, here is how to make the incredible edible egg look incredible... and edible (my own opinion).

Put the eggs in a pot and cover them with about an inch of cold water.  Some say that a bit of salt prevents cracking and a bit of vinegar prevents egg whites from running out if an egg should crack.  I don't use either, but some people do.  

Bring the water to a boil.  As soon as the water is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and let it go for 1 minute.  Remove the pot from the heat and cover.  Let it sit for 10-12 minutes.  This time depends on the size of your eggs as well as the number.  I usually just end up letting it sit for 12 and they turn out fine.

After the 12 minutes is up, immediately get the eggs into cold water.  I dump out the hot water and fill and refill the pan with cold water a few times in order to do this.  Once they are cool enough to peel you can enjoy!  No green slime around the yolk.  Of course, you can also store them in the fridge as well.


No comments: