Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Rice Pudding


This dish does not have a long history for me.  In fact, when my husband first explained it to me, I probably responded with something like, "you do what with rice?" or "sounds interesting, honey..."

At the time we lived nearby one of Dr. S's brothers.  They only had four kids back then, (ha!) but by the time you have that many, the art of feeding children has become pretty refined!  So one morning while we were there for breakfast, brother made it for the kids.  I watched curiously as he boiled rice, added milk, sugar, vanilla, and even eggs.  "That's so strange, but so simple," I said, having never experienced rice pudding before.  "Must be why the kids love it!" was their dad's response.

And sure enough, the kiddos gobbled it up and danced away with full bellies.

At the time we had one little man, and I wasn't the best at preparing family breakfasts.  Dr. S left for work or school really early back then, so I always fed him, then the baby when he got up, and I ate somewhere in there.  It had been a goal of mine to start family breakfasts, though, and I figured learning to cook some of the traditional things Dr. S enjoyed as a kid might encourage both of us.  

For the rice pudding, the best way to try it is to just use up some leftover rice.  That way you're not necessarily committed from the beginning and disappointed if it doesn't work out--but when it does taste amazing, you'll be inspired to make extra rice on purpose next time!  

So cook up some rice for dinner.  Save the leftovers.  It's best if it's plain.  We eat ours for breakfast, so we always save it overnight in the fridge.  But you can have this for dessert, too!  Chop up the rice if it's a little sticky and clumped together.  Just use a large spoon.


I use milk powder to cook with, so I mix it in before adding liquid.


If you do it this way, stir it up do distribute the powder.


Then add water.  Or, if you're using milk--add that!


Combine eggs, sugar and vanilla in measuring cup and mix well.  


After about 5 or 10 minutes, the rice should have absorbed a lot of the milk and looks creamy.


Temper the egg mixture by adding about 1/2 cup of the hot rice into the eggs.  Stir to combine.


Pour the mixture back into the pot with the hot rice...


 and cook for 2-3 minutes more, or until thickened but not boiling.


This is where I like to put aside a little serving for me, because I like my rice pudding plain, creamy and vanilla flavored.


But lots of folks enjoy dried fruits and some spices, so toss those in if you want.  


The dried fruits will plump up much more nicely if you put them in at the beginning, though.  So don't be like me and save them for the end!


Rice Pudding

3 cups cooked rice (1 1/2 cups uncooked)
4 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
pinch salt

optional:
1/2 tsp cinnamon and/or
1/4 tsp nutmeg and/or
1/2 cup raisins or other dried fruit

Add rice and  milk together in large pot over medium heat.  Add dried fruit, if desired.  Mix together eggs, vanilla, sugar, salt and optional spices in glass measuring cup.  When most of the milk is absorbed, temper the eggs by adding 1/2 cup hot rice to egg mixture.  Pour tempered eggs into pot with hot rice and cook 2-3 minutes more, or until thickened.  Serve hot or cold.

No comments: