Friday, April 6, 2012

Old Fashioned Oatmeal


Oatmeal and I have a love-hate relationship.  I love it because it's good for you:  my family has a history of heart problems, and I just don't ever want to go there!  I love it because it tastes amazing in cookies: crisp, brown-sugary, crunchy ones and chewy with a touch of cinnamon, chocolate and raisins or butterscotch. I love it because it is the key ingredient in perfect granola. I love it because it's cheap!!  At  $0.10 a serving or less, I really can't complain about feeding it to my family.  

However, I hate the gluey, eating-paste feeling I get sometimes when I shovel in a big mouthful of instant or quick oats.  Bleh.

That is why I had to learn how to make old fashioned oatmeal.  It's not rocket science, but I guess if you don't know how you can't cook it, can you?  

First, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.  You can do that without a picture, right?

Then add 2 cups of old fashioned rolled oatmeal (the kind is important; don't use quick or instant!) and a pinch of salt.  Bring it back to a boil.


Boil it until most of the water seems to be absorbed, stirring occasionally.


Turn off the heat.  Your oatmeal should look plump and soft, and like it's still sitting in a little water.  Don't worry; that water will be absorbed.


This is when you add your flavorings.  My favorite to add is 1 T cinnamon, 2 T brown sugar and 1/4 cup raisins.  But the possibilities are pretty endless.  Maple syrup and brown sugar will give you a taste of that well-loved instant flavor.  My husband likes to add brown sugar, milk and a little butter to make butterscotch.  My MIL even drops in some mini chocolate chips on Christmas morning!  



Just give it a stir and serve.  This makes 4 generous servings.


Old Fashioned Oatmeal


4 cups water
2 cups old fashioned oats
pinch salt
1 T cinnamon
2 T brown sugar
1/4 cup raisins


Bring water to boil.  Add oats and salt.  Return to boil and cook until most water is absorbed, stirring occasionally.  Stir in desired flavorings (recipe includes suggestion) and serve warm.

No comments: