Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Sweet Potato Bake


Sweet potatoes.  I think they're one of those foods you love or hate.  However, I also think you can learn to acquire a taste for them.  This is the recipe that taught me to love sweet potatoes.  (I confess it was probably the sugary topping.)  But now I would be happy to eat just a regular old baked sweet potato with a little salt or butter.  

When I was a teenager, some friends and I got together and had a recipe exchange where we all made our favorite dishes and brought the recipes to share.  This recipe came from that exchange, and though I don't make it really often, I always think of it to accompany special meals during the holidays.

You start out by cooking and mashing the sweet potatoes.  I spaced the photos for the first few steps, so you'll have to use your imagination!  

You can use the pale yellow variety or the orange variety sometimes referred to as "yams" in the supermarket.  Both are really about the same!  The easiest way I've found to cook them is in the microwave--ever done a quick baked potato that way?  Then the peel just comes right off with your fingers and you can mash it with a fork.

Then you mix in the rest of the filling ingredients and spread it in a casserole dish.  The recipe I'm posting is for a two quart dish, (8 or 9 inch square pan) but since I'm the only one in the house who enjoys these enough to eat leftovers, the photos are for half the size.


For the topping, mix together dry ingredients first.


Then cut in the butter.


Spread topping over filling.


At this point you can refrigerate for a few hours or overnight if you want to!  You probably want to cover it if you're going overnight.


An hour before serving, bake in 325 degree oven for 45-60 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden brown.

Sweet Potato Bake

3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (about 2-3 large)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 T butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

for the topping:
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
6 T cold butter

Wash, cook, peel and mash sweet potatoes (microwave is easiest).  Combine with remaining filling ingredients and mix well.  Transfer to greased 2 quart (8 or 9 inch square pan) baking dish.  Combine dry ingredients for topping in small mixing bowl.  Cut in butter.  Spread topping over filling in baking dish.  Can cover and refrigerate for later use or bake immediately.  Bake at 325 for 45-60 minutes, or until top is lightly golden brown.

No comments: