Monday, April 29, 2013

Sautéed Vegetables


You have to trust me when I say:  this tastes much better than it looks!  Or sounds, even.  Sometimes when I'm feeding hungry kiddos, I can't take the time to arrange a pretty plate.  Sometimes Dr. S serves me and doesn't "plate" the food for a picture, either, because he doesn't know I'm planning to photograph it.  So you get what you get!

This one isn't rocket science, but I just barely learned how to do it myself!  I was babysitting for a friend, and she'd laid out some frozen chicken nuggets to make it easy, and then made sure I knew how to saute broccoli.  

What? You can saute broccoli?  And kids will eat it?

It's true.  You can!  And they will!  And it's yummy!  Here's how.

Choose vegetables with similar cooking times and qualities.  Broccoli and asparagus.  Sugar peas and green beans.  Onions and bell peppers.  Potatoes and parsnips.  Carrots and apples! (yes, I know apples are not vegetables)  Wash veggies and chop or slice as desired.  Melt butter.



Add fresh seasonings.  Here I'm using garlic, but you can use fresh herbs (parsley, oregano, rosemary, basil, cilantro) or freshly ground spices (nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon).


When it's good and golden add dry spices.  (salt, pepper, dry herbs and spices)


Then in go the veggies.  No water needed!


Toss 'em around until they're bright and tender--a little crunch is okay!


Sauteed Vegetables

2 T butter
1 tsp freshly minced seasonings (choose from garlic, basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, etc)
1 tsp dry seasonings (choose from salt, pepper, savory and sweet spices, etc)
1-2 lbs. fresh vegetables or fruits

Wash and cut vegetables.  Melt butter in large skillet. Saute fresh seasonings in melted butter for one minute.  Add dry seasonings and stir.  Add prepared vegetables and cook 5 to 20 minutes, tossing occasionally, or until brightly colored and tender with a slight crunch.

No comments: