Monday, April 9, 2012

Sweet Restaurant-style Cole Slaw


Cole slaw has always been one of my favorite salads.  If given the chance to order it as a side in a restaurant, I always chose cole slaw.  Some were good; some not so good.  

My mom didn't make it often growing up, probably because the real star of the picnic table in our family was and always will be mom's potato salad (featured in the background of the above photo).  But that recipe is for another day.  When mom is here to cook it again.

Since I only ordered it at restaurants, cole slaw seemed so far out of my league.  Imagine my delight when I found out how easy it is to make!  Especially if you use a bag of pre-shredded cole slaw mix.

I start out by mixing up the dressing in the bottom of a large serving bowl.  All you do is measure out some Miracle Whip, sugar, poppy seeds, oil, vinegar and salt...


and give it a stir.


Dump in your cole slaw mix (or 1/2 of a small cabbage and 2 carrots, shredded) and 2 T finely chopped onion...


and toss it with the dressing.  Refrigerate for at least an hour or two for best flavor.


Sweet Restaurant-style Cole Slaw


1/3 cup Miracle Whip
1 1/2 T oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 T vinegar
pinch salt
1/4 tsp poppy seeds, optional
16 oz bag cole slaw mix (or 1/2 small cabbage and 2 carrots, grated)
2 T finely chopped onion


Combine first six ingredients in bottom of large serving bowl.  Dump in cole slaw mix and onions and toss to coat with dressing.  Cover and chill at least 2 hours in fridge before serving.


No comments: