Thursday, April 26, 2012

Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs


I suppose it is safe to say that I only post favorites on this blog.  So, yes... this is another favorite.  It involves a bit more chopping prep than I prefer, but that is when I usually give up the perfectly diced squares and pull out the trusty old food processor.

First chop up your veggies.  


Heat your oil in a large skillet.  Add the veggies and cook them until the onion is softened.  If you didn't notice, I decided to add zucchini at the last moment.  It is my favorite veggie and I always have it on hand.  Plus, you use about half of one later on in the recipe.  You'll see.


Once your veggies have a good start, mix in the broth, tomato sauce, brown sugar, white vinegar, pineapple with juice, and ketchup (yes, ketchup.)  The recipe calls for crushed pineapple.  I used chunk pineapple this time around and I actually liked it a lot better.  So, you can use either.


While your veggies are simmering, soak the bread in the milk until it is absorbed.  Mix the ground turkey, shredded zucchini (I told you it was coming), egg, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.


You will probably have to get your hands dirty in this one.  I know, gross.



I shape the meatballs as I drop them in, and they are not even close to perfect circles.  They taste just as good in dollop shape though, I promise.



Cook them for 7-8 minutes on each side.



In the recipe below it calls for instant rice.  I serve this over rice, but I never use the instant rice because I don't like the way it tastes.  So, you can do either.  I just use rice that I have cooked separately.

Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 large carrots, chopped
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 slice white bread
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 3/4 pound ground turkey
  • 1/2 zucchini, shredded
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 cups instant rice*

Heat oil in a large skillet.  Add onion, green pepper, and carrot (zucchini if you want).  Cover for 5 minutes, until onion is softened.  

Stir in broth, tomato sauce, brown sugar, white vinegar, pineapple with juice, and ketchup.  

Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the veggies are tender.

While your veggies are simmering, soak the bread in the milk until it is absorbed.  Mix the ground turkey, shredded zucchini, egg, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.  Shape into about 12 meatballs (about 2 Tbs each).

Drop the meatballs into the simmering sauce.  Cook 15 minutes, or until cooked through.  Turn over half way through cooking.

Remove skillet from heat.

*Optional - stir in rice. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.  Fluff rice with fork before serving.

No comments: