Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Country Fried Chicken


Here's some more country cookin' for ya'll.  But I would go so far as to call this one scrumptious--a step or two above "tasty."  

I've felt a little dumpy lately.  As in, down in the dumps.  Homesick.  Call it what you like, but for me, the country is home in my mind so this dish brings me home.  

A couple weeks ago I read a short story called "When Queens Ride By" on a blog I occasionally like to read.  In simple summary, the protagonist of the story lives sort of an everyday, hard workin' life out in the country, and feels a little sorry for herself that she can't live her dreams--which aren't even far and above what she lives day by day, but seem to be far, far out of reach.  Then at the end of the story (spoiler alert) she realizes that decision is really up to her, and chooses to make her life different.

A few days after reading the story, I was home with my sick little one from church.  Since I actually look forward to my church meetings each week and the uplift they bring, I was a little disappointed to be stuck at home.  But the hubby had responsibilities in church that day, and I surprisingly had none.  

I secretly also enjoyed spending the afternoon at home "living the dream" though.  Dressin' up nice for when my honey comes home and fixin' up a good meal to greet him with.  It was also raining that day (which it doesn't do here often, but it does in the Midwest where I grew up).  So the day just really spoke "country" to me, and I was glad to add to it!

For your setup, you'll need 1/2 to 1 lb chicken, prepared how you like.  You can pound it thin, leave it thick, cut it into tenders or nuggets.  I chose nuggets (for cooking time as well as little eaters).  

You'll also need 1 cup flour, salt and pepper to taste, a couple tablespoons of butter as well as olive oil.  Melt the butter and heat it together with the oil in a large skillet.  Mix the flour with the salt and pepper, then dredge (that means coat--you can roll it around in the bowl like I do or do the "shake&bake" method and shake it all up in a large ziploc bag.

 

Then place the chicken in the heated skillet--the layer of butter and oil should coat the bottom but not really cover much of the chicken.


Brown the chicken on each side, turning when necessary.


When browned on all sides, pour in two cups water or chicken broth (the latter has a bit more flavor).


Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.


Take lid off and reduce broth (if necessary) to about 1/2 cup.


Remove chicken to a serving dish and sprinkle in a couple tablespoons of flour.  You'll add milk next, but if you're using powdered like I am, go ahead and sprinkle in the amount needed for 1 cup milk.  (that's about 1/4 cup milk powder usually)


Then add in your water and whisk to combine.


It'll look a little funky, but just keep stirring and simmering...


until it's nice and smooth and thick like gravy.



Pour it over the chicken (or serve separately if you must) before serving.


Country Fried Chicken


1 lb raw chicken, cut into tenders or nuggets or pounded thin
2 T butter
2 T olive oil
1 1/4 cup flour, divided
2 cups chicken broth or water
1 cup milk (or 1/4 cup milk powder and 1 cup water)
salt and pepper, to taste


Melt butter and heat with oil in large skillet over medium heat.  Combine 1 cup flour and salt and pepper, then dredge chicken in flour.  Place chicken in skillet and brown on all sides.  Add broth or water, cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, or until cooked through.  Remove lid and reduce broth to 1/2 cup.  Remove chicken and set aside in serving dish.  Whisk 1/4 cup flour into broth, adding milk powder and water or milk.  Whisk constantly over medium-high heat until desired thickness.  Serve gravy over chicken, or over potatoes or rice.

1 comment:

Joyful said...

When I do chicken like this (not exactly, but close-ish) I like to add curry to the flour. If y'all like curry, it might be worth a try!