Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Creamy Fruit Salad


This recipe is so simple, you could have thought of it yourself.  But since I couldn't think of it myself, I thought I'd share, just in case!  

Just combine your favorite fruits with your favorite creamy things and put it in a bowl.  Seriously.  I first remember trying it at a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner with my in-laws, and I was so blown away by how delightful it was, that when I asked for the recipe, I had to be a little embarrassed by the answer!  

Another fun tidbit:  when my husband's grandma was living with his parents, Mom started mixing in a little instant pudding with the dressing to add some extra calories and sugar since Grandma was a bit of a picky eater!  Once they started doing it, they enjoyed it enough to keep on adding the instant pudding to the dressing.

So.  There are many variations, and you can keep it simple (fruit and vanilla yogurt) for everyday consumption or spice it up (fruit with cream, pudding, etc) for holiday meals.  Either way, enjoy it!

Creamy Fruit Salad

1 cup fruit per person--a variety, chopped or sliced into bite-sized pieces
2 T creamy dressing for every 1 cup fruit

options for the dressing:
  • vanilla yogurt
  • heavy cream, whipped with a little vanilla and sugar
  • half yogurt, half whipped cream
  • any of the above, with a spoonful or two of instant vanilla pudding powder
  • or try coconut pudding!
  • or lemon.
  • or coconut pudding with shredded coconut mixed in
  • Mom's favorite combination is pina colada yogurt with real cream, a little pudding and shredded coconut
  • or make up your own!
If mixing up a dressing, use the bottom of your serving bowl to mix it up first.  Then add the chopped fruit and toss gently to coat.  Chill before serving.


No comments: