Friday, June 1, 2012

Beef Stroganoff


I have a confession to make.  I am a pasta addict.  Have I already confessed that on here?  Well if I have, I should do it again, and again.  This has always been one of my favorite pasta dishes.  The best part about it is that it is so easy to make.  This is a recipe my mom has made since I can remember.  I have also loved it since I remember.  

First, chop your onions and mince your garlic.  This is also where you could chop the fresh mushrooms if you were to remember them (like I didn't).


Heat the olive oil in your pan and add the garlic and onions.  Cook until the onions become translucent.


Add the meat.  I used stew meat.  You can also use hamburger.  Cook until the meat is cooked through.


This is where you would add the mushrooms, if you happened to remember them.  Cook the mushrooms until they become soft, but stop before they begin to shrink drastically in size.

Add the cream of mushroom soup.


Add the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce.  Mix until combine.


Lookin' good, but the best part is still to come.


Add the sour cream.  I know you are trying to be healthy, but don't use light sour cream.  It will curdle.  Basically, it would make this lovely sauce too yucky to eat (in my opinion).  Don't give in to the temptation!


Heat through.  Be sure not to boil the sauce, or again, it will make it all kind of funny textures.


Meanwhile, boil yourself up some yummy pasta.  Cool trick I learned somewhere.  If you put a wooden spoon over the top of your pan the water won't boil over.  Turns out it is true.


Enjoy!

Beef Stroganoff
  • 1lb ground beef or stew meat
  • 1T olive oil
  • 1 med. onion, diced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 10 ½ oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1c dairy sour cream
  • 1 3 oz can mushrooms, undrained -or- fresh mushrooms
  • 2T ketchup
  • 2T Worcestershire sauce
  • pasta

Heat oil in skillet.

Add garlic and onions and cook until garlic becomes fragrant.

Add meat and brown.

Add fresh mushrooms.  Stir occasionally until mushrooms are soft.

Add cream of mushroom soup, sour cream (don't use light... it will curdle), ketchup, and Worcestershire Sauce.

Heat through.

DON’T BOIL.

Serve over pasta.

No comments: