Sunday, June 10, 2012

Creamed Eggs

What do you do with your left-over Easter eggs (Sorry, this post is a bit... ok, VERY late)?  I love hard boiled eggs, but I have to say that after a couple days I get sick of them.  The first Easter that I was married, I wanted to limit the number of eggs we dyed so we wouldn't be left with a lot of left overs.  My husband, however, made about 2 dozen.  I asked him why he made so many and he said, "For Creamed Eggs of course!" as if I should have just known what that was.  I was then introduced to this breakfast that I would eat every day if I could.


The first step to making this is boiling the eggs


If you use the method linked to above, you will get a pretty hard boiled egg with no green slime.


Slice your eggs up and set them aside.


Next you want to make a medium white sauce.  Heat the butter until it just begins to foam, then add the salt and flour.


Stir the mixture (a rue) until it just starts to turn golden.  I let this go a little far, you would be looking for a color a bit lighter than this.  


Add cold milk and whisk until smooth.


Add the white pepper.


Add more salt if needed.


Add the pepper.  Fresh ground is always the best.


Next you add the start of the show... your eggs.  Heat it through, and taste for seasoning.  I love how the yolks kind of mix into the sauce to make it creamy and the lovely pale yellow color.


I serve it over toast and add a bit of paprika for a garnish.  Enjoy!

Creamed Eggs
  • 4 Tbs butter
  • 4 Tbs flour
  • 2c COLD milk
  • 8-10 hard boiled eggs, chopped
  • salt to taste
  • white pepper to taste
  • pepper to taste
In a medium sauce pan melt butter.

Add the flour and stir until the flour just begins to turn golden.

Add the COLD milk and whisk until the clumps are gone.

Heat to a simmer.

Add eggs and heat through.

Add salt and peppers to taste.

Serve over toast.

No comments: