Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Porcupine Meatballs


This is another one of the hubby's favorites.  If he says its good, well, then it is because he doesn't lie :)  Just a heads up... this recipe is very easy to make, but it does have to cook for 1.5 hours.  Just plan ahead a little so you don't end up eating dinner at 8:30pm like some people (me) do.

Start out by dicing your onion.  You want it to be pretty fine.  I like using my little food processor for this, but a knife and cutting board will work just as well.


Combine the hamburger, rice, onion, milk, salt, and pepper.  For those of you who know me well, you might be surprised to know that I used powdered milk because we were out of the good stuff.  I will even admit that I couldn't tell a difference.  I also added a little bit of minced garlic (my own addition to the recipe).


Combine.  You're gonna have to get your hands dirty.  Every time I make this I start out trying to mix it with a spoon... it just doesn't get as incorporated as when I hand mix it.  


Shape the mixture into balls and put them in a 9x13 pan.  See, you have to get your hands dirty anyway!  I made about 35 meatballs so you have an idea.


Mix together the tomato soup, water, basil, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce.  


The Worcestershire sauce gives it a little kick.  Secret ingredient :)


Pour the soup mixture over the meatballs.


Put it in the oven at 350° for  1 ½  hours.

Porcupine Meatballs
From my mother's recipe box

1 ½ lbs ground beef
¾ c uncooked quick rice
¾ c milk
1 diced onion
salt and pepper
10 oz can tomato soup
1 can water
½ t basil
½ t salt
½ t pepper
½ c Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine ground beef, rice,milk, onion, salt, and pepper.

Shape the meat into small balls.

Place in 9x13 inch baking dish.

Mix tomato soup, water, basil, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.

Pour over meat.

Cover and bake at 350° for 1½ hours.

No comments: