Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chicken & Broccoli Cheese Soup


We have a soup problem at our house.  I really like it.  My husband not so much.  But that's mainly for two reasons:  A. I seem to always make it on the warmest day of the week.  In Southern California.   B.  I'm not very good at it.

It's true.  I'm not a good soup maker.  But I can do your basic and simple fill-you-up soups.  But therein lies the third reason hubby doesn't like soup:

C.  It's not always filling.

I really love broccoli.  And cheese.  And onions.  And garlic.  And any combination of those--especially in fondue.  Broccoli cheese soup is a pretty simple stand-by for me, and I just added in some chicken to fill up hubby's belly a little better.  Feelin' the vibe here?  This is how you make it:

Slow cook your chicken.  I did mine in the crock pot with a little butter, salt, pepper, parsley, onion powder (I was out of fresh onions) and garlic powder (again, out of fresh).  Added a little water so it didn't scorch.  Put it on high for 3 hours while we went on a little Sunday drive.


Came home, pulled it out and shredded it with a fork.


Dumped it back in the pot and committed a cheese soup travesty:  I used a can.  Don't hate me.  I keep this kind of soup in my pantry for days when I'm feeling lazy or busy or if I happen to be out of cheese.  Please feel free to start this soup off right and sautee your fresh onions and garlic before adding the chicken and proceeding, and finishing with a rich, creamy roux, turning off the heat and gently stirring in your shredded cheddar.  Or, if that sounded like Chinese to you, dump in some frozen broccoli and a can of cheddar cheese soup (I've heard "Cheez Wiz" is also good) like I did.  Don't be ashamed; I'm not.



You don't want to leave this going for much longer than an hour or so, on low.  Just check your broccoli to desired done-ness and don't let the "cheese" scorch. :)


Chicken & Broccoli Cheese Soup


2 small chicken breast halves
2 T butter
1 cup water
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups broccoli (frozen works)
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 "can" milk (just refill your soup can with milk and dump it in the pot)


Place chicken, butter, water, and spices in crock pot and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or until chicken, when stabbed, comes apart easily.  Remove chicken from crock pot and shred.  Put chicken back into crock pot and add broccoli, cheese soup and milk.  Stir to combine.  Turn crock pot to low and cook 1-2 hours, or until broccoli reaches desired done-ness.  Serves 4.

No comments: