Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Perfect Brownies


These brownies are perfect.  There's really nothing more to say.  But if you must know, I guess I'll take you on a small journey with me through brownie land.

Bottom line:  a perfect brownie in my mind is wonderfully dense and fudgy in the middle, with a pleasantly shiny, slightly flaky top.  It also usually has chocolate chunks in it of some kind, but that's totally a matter of preference!  

Out of the box, my favorite brands are Ghirardelli and Hershey.  They're nice and fudgy and thick and chocolaty.  But I really wanted a homemade version so I could make it cheaper!  And whenever I wanted, even without the box.  

But I ran into a problem.  All of the "best" brownie recipes seemed to turn out cake-like.  Even if I go through great lengths to carefully melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler and gently stir in previously beaten eggs.  Don't take me there, man.  Let's throw some cocoa and eggs in a bowl and get a decadent brownie, shall we?

First, mix up the wet ingredients.


Then throw in the dries and mix until just combined.


Toss in chocolate chips or nuts if desired.


Pour it into a greased pan.


And bake in your preheated oven.  DON'T OVER BAKE.  Okay?  


Some people look for brownies pulling away at the edges.  Some do a knife check (a few crumbs, not completely clean).  And some (like me) just look for the middle to be set and not gloppy!!  Careful not to under bake either, though.  These are not heartburn brownies.  They are perfect brownies.  Capiche?


PS--the recipe calls for vegetable oil, but feel free to use butter if your little heart desires.  Also, don't shy away from using pasteurized egg product so you can feel all noble about letting your kids lick the spoon.  Just make sure to under-measure a little on the equivalent egg amount.

Perfect Brownies

3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups sugar
1 cup flour
2/3 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup chocolate chips, (or nuts, or whatever) optional

Mix eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar together in a bowl until well blended.  Combine remaining ingredients, except chocolate chips, and gently mix until just moistened.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Pour into greased 9x13" pan.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until done.  Do not over bake.  Allow to cool (or don't) before cutting into bars.

No comments: