Monday, March 5, 2012

Slow Cooked Chicken Enchilada Chili



Last Sunday I woke up and realized that we were having company for dinner that night.  That realization was scary because I also knew that I had not made it to the grocery store the day before and we were pretty low on... well, everything.  I looked through my favorite cooking blogs and came across this recipe on Picky Palate.  I had everything for it and it would have to do.

I didn't take any pictures of the making because I honestly wasn't expecting it to be that great.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  The hubby loved it and requested that it be added to our regular meal list.  One thing I didn't have was red enchilada sauce.  I used this recipe and it did the trick, but only because it was mixed with other things.  I would probably go with a different one next time.  The sauce needed a lot of doctoring up and was definitely not something I would use on actual enchiladas.

The best thing about this recipe?  It is so EASY!  Enjoy :)

Slow Cooked Chicken Enchilada Chili
From: Picky Palate

  • 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • One 15 oz can corn, drained
  • One 15 oz can black beans, drained
  • One 10 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 8 oz (1cup) red enchilada sauce
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 Cup chicken broth (optional)
  • Cooked steamed Rice, or tortillas
Place all ingredients into crock pot on hight heat.  Cook on hight for 4-5 hours, until chicken shreds easily with a fork.  Shred both breasts into bite size pieces and spoon over cooked rice or tortilla.  You can also add about 1 cup of chili to make it a bit saucier... totally optional.

Makes 8 servings.

No comments: